Three face cords
3x 16" x 4' x 8'
or 4'x4'x'8' or 128 Cubic Feet
16" x 4' x 8'
12" x 4' x 8'
for smaller stoves
- wood attracts moisture
- keep your wood up off the ground
- stack to enable air flow (bark up)
- cover top to keep the elements out
- firewood takes at least 6 months to season
- it will turn a grey colour, split on the end
- bring a day’s worth inside before burning
- wood stove safe zone: 150 – 300 °C
- ash is used in the winter months as it can be burned right away
- do not burn wet wood in a wood stove
- Not only does it destroy (rust) the chimney, but creosote will build up – risk of chimney fire is just a matter of time.
- clean your chimney every year
- use cheaper softwoods in spring and fall
- always obey fire regulations, be safe
Common wood used for burning
From hardest to softest
harder burns longer